Accepting payments using Afterpay
From Spiffy Stores Knowledge Base
Afterpay’s proprietary technology platform enables shoppers to pay for items in four simple instalments, without the need for additional information at checkout.
For more information about Afterpay, Visit the Afterpay Website.
- 1 Benefits For Afterpay Merchants
- 2 Applying for Afterpay
- 3 Seamless integration with your store.
- 4 Displaying Afterpay information/widgets in your store
- 5 Refunding an order
- 6 What can’t be sold on Afterpay
- 7 Orders marked as Payment Pending or Error?
Benefits For Afterpay Merchants
- Incremental sales, new customers
Afterpay converts customers that would have otherwise abandoned, generating more sales from the existing customer base and creating new customers.
- Guaranteed up-front payment
Afterpay pays merchants the full transaction amount within 48 hours of purchase, guaranteed.
- Increase basket size and repeat purchase rates
Afterpay customers spend more per transaction and over their lifetime, and they come back more often.
- Zero fraud or credit risk
Afterpay assumes all end-customer non-payment risk for every single transaction.
Applying for Afterpay
When applying for Afterpay, they may send you out a questionnaire asking for information about your store. The details required for this questionnaire are below for your convenience.
You may get someone at AfterPay who is not aware that Spiffy Stores is a supported solution. Should this happen, please forward their email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll communicate with their staff directly to get you set up painlessly.
|eCommerce Platform||Spiffy Stores|
|eCommerce Platform Edition (if applicable)||N/A|
|eCommerce Platform Version||N/A|
|Payment Gateway/Extension (if applicable)||N/A|
|Available environments / sites outside of Production||Provide the address of your web site (e.g. https://www.mybluepompoms.spiffystores.com )|
Note: Afterpay assets are hidden in the site until the site is approved by Afterpay.
|Development Resources||Spiffy Stores Support Team|
|Go Live Date||The date you want to go live with your store. ( e.g. 20th March 2020 or ASAP )|
Once you have provided the details to Afterpay, they should provide you with further information. Please ensure this information is also sent to us so we can ensure your store meets Afterpay integration requirements.
Should your store require testing by Afterpay, please let us know. We will ensure your store is set up for testing and communicate with Afterpay on your behalf. You will be included on any communications with Afterpay. When we have set up your store for testing, you shouldn't make any changes to your theme, Afterpay payment method, Afterpay checkout rules, Afterpay coupon codes, or the Afterpay customer accounts we set up for Afterpay testing purposes until Afterpay have completed their testing. You're free to add more products, collections, pages etc.
Afterpay will book you in for testing, and let us know when it's scheduled for completion. We'll then get the results of the testing, which may require some tweaking... but usually stores pass first go. Once the store has passed, Afterpay will then send us the live Afterpay account details, and we will add them to your store and remove the things that have been set up for testing purposes. Any test orders will be also cancelled... and the store will then be ready to go!
Seamless integration with your store.
To accept Afterpay, you will first need a merchant account with Afterpay. Contact Afterpay to apply for an account. You may get someone at AfterPay who is not aware that Spiffy Stores is a supported solution. Should this happen, please forward their email to email@example.com, and we'll communicate with their staff directly to get you set up painlessly.
After you have created an Afterpay account, activating Afterpay payments in your store is simple, and can be done in the Preferences -> Checkout & Payment section of your Spiffy Store Toolbox.
To activate Afterpay, scroll down to the Alternative Payment Methods section, and select Afterpay.
It's then just a simple matter of entering the Merchant ID and Merchant Key provided by Afterpay. You should set a Maximum Order Value and Minimum Order Value as per your agreement with Afterpay. These values are important, as they allow your store to only display Afterpay to customers that are able to pay using Afterpay. You may also want to add a note that is displayed in your checkout in the Extra Instructions to Buyer section.
Once you have completed all of the information, simply click the Activate button, and head over to your storefront to preview Afterpay in your checkout.
Displaying Afterpay information/widgets in your store
We assist you to get Afterpay set up in your store. Our newer themes already include Afterpay support, but if your theme isn't showing Afterpay assets when you activate Afterpay in your store, please contact us, and we'll add them in for you free of charge.
Refunding an order
When you're viewing an order in your store's admin, you'll find there's an option to refund the order under the "Edit order status" options. This marks the order as refunded, but it doesn't send the refund through to Afterpay. You will need to log in to your Afterpay Merchant Portal to process the refund.
What can’t be sold on Afterpay
Some goods and services cannot be paid for using Afterpay. This list is not exhaustive and subject to change.
- Gift cards
- Perishable goods
- Alcohol in bulk or hard liquor
- Recreational drugs or equipment to facilitate drug use
- Explosive materials or instructions for making explosives
- Pornographic material, experiences, and digital content
- Gambling related content
- Products that enable dishonest behaviour
- Consumer electronics
- Forward delivery of goods/services over 90 days from purchase date
- Ongoing services (eg subscriptions)
- Goods or Services that infringe third party intellectual property (without limitation) counterfeit goods and pirated content
If your store sells any of these goods or services, then you will need to take extra steps to set up your store with Afterpay. You will also require our "Checkout Rules" add-on to ensure that these goods/services cannot be paid for in the checkout.
Step 1 - Create a collection of Afterpay restricted products
- Log in to your store's admin area, and go to the Collections tab
- Create a collection called "Afterpay Restricted"
- Set the Collection Visibility to Hidden
- Add your restricted products to this collection
Step 2 - Enable the Checkout Rules Add-on and create a Checkout Rule
- If you're on our Starter or Plus plans, you'll need to enable the Add-on. When logged in to your store's admin area, go to the Accounts -> Add-Ons section, and add the Checkout Rules Add-on to your store. If you're on our or Pro plan, it is already included in your plan.
- Go to the Preferences -> Checkout Rules section of your store's admin
- Click the Add a Checkout Rule link
- In the name, type "Afterpay Restricted"
- For the rule action, choose Set a Payment Tag
- Set your tag to "noafterpay"
- Starts today, and is valid until deactivated
- Rule applies only with at least 1 products from collection Afterpay Restricted
- Inventory, price, time, and customer options should be all left on their default setting
- Click Create Rule to add the rule
Step 3 - Edit all of your payment options
- Go to the Preferences -> Checkout & Payment section
- Click Edit next to your first payment option on this page.
- You will find that a new field appears called Payment Tags
- Enter "*,noafterpay" and save the payment option
- Repeat the process for all payment options other than Afterpay
Orders marked as Payment Pending or Error?
Afterpay can sometimes take a little while to verify a payment and decide to offer your customer credit, which is why the order is marked as Payment Pending.
An order that uses Afterpay that is marked as Error means that Afterpay has rejected the payment. The customer is well aware that this has happened, as they are notified by Afterpay. In this instance, we recommend you follow-up with your customer by sending them an email asking if they would like to continue with the order. You would generally do this about 24 hours after the order has been placed.
If they do want to continue with the order, log in to your store admin, and view the order details. You will find that there should be an option to Send order retry link under Email customer, which will send them an email with a link so they can complete their payment. When you receive payment, the order should then be automatically marked as paid on the View order screen in your Spiffy Store.
For more information about Afterpay, Visit the Afterpay Website.